Finding the best toys for 2 year olds can be hard! Toddlers change their mind every 5 seconds and change activities every 10-15 minutes, if you’re lucky!
I never knew having a child I was also having an interior decorator as well! The toys are literally part of our home decor now, they are everywhere. I swear as soon as I get them put away and turn my back, my little one has started pulling them all back out.
So what are the best toys for 2 year olds? Well, we will get to that! I also have a fun giveaway later on in this post that you won’t wanna miss!
First let’s talk about some things to keep in my when searching for the perfect toy!
- Sparks their imagination & creativity: a good toy is one that gets their creative juices flowing. Something that excites them and they can use imaginative play. That way it keeps them interested for a longer period of time and it doesn’t bore them because when using your imagination, the possibilities are limitless.
The best toys are the ones that stimulate many senses and that give a child the opportunity to make things happen. – Dr. Sears
- Age/Comprehension level appropriate: You can not necessarily choose theest toy focusing on age in years, you must factor in ability. There are some toys that may be above or below a child’s comprehension because every child is different.
- Educational: Not every toy will serve an educational purpose, but it’s nice to have some options to foster early learning. Our kids are little sponges and really soak up knowledge quickly in their early years. You may not see it now, but they are learning in every situation they face ad from everything in their environment. This also better prepares them for school which is right around the corner!
The real educational toys are not the flashy gadgets and gizmos with big promises, but the staples that have built creative thinkers for decades. – Roberta Golinkoff, PhD
- Fun/Interesting: Duh, lol. Keep it simple. Something with too many flashing lights and sounds will not only drive you crazy, but will fail to hold your kiddos attention because their is simply too much going on!
- Quality over Quantity: Having a few, good toys is way better than too many toys. Yes, there is such a thing. I’m sure most mamas would agree that their house is taken over by tons of toys everywhere. Every few months take a look around and get rid of the clutter. Donate if you can!
If you overbuy, your child will become overloaded and over stimulated. – Dr. Auerbach
Now I know you’re all wondering what specific toys am I talking about. Enough already Tiffany, show us the toys! Alright alright without further ado, my list of the Best Toys for 2 Year Olds:
Mega Blocks (or Lego’s) are a staple in any kids toy collection. I love playing with them too. This is a wonderful toy that you can either have them play alone or with you. Having a toy that can keep them independently playing is important. Whether building a castle for your little girls princesses to live or monster trucks to drive around, blocks are always a good choice!
Pretend play has to be my favorite activity for kids. I love to see their little imaginations running. A play kitchen, like this one, is perfect to get them going. It can keep them busy for hours and also teaches them vocabulary and real-life situations that they can relate with. You might also just have the next top-chef on your hands!
Oh the joys of potty training! I know all the mamas just LOVE this stage right? I love using books while potty training because it keeps her focus on the book and off the task at hand. Plus, books rock!
This Easel is so fabulous! It has a cute chair and even some storage space which is key. I love watching my little one draw and get creative.
My daughter loves this LeapFrog computer because it reminded her of my computer! She can even check her e-mail.
OK, It’s giveaway time! I am so excited to give away a $50 Gift Certificate to Diapers.com one lucky person! All you have to do is leave a quick comment on this blog post! See the prompt below and good luck.
*This giveaway is a partnership with Nakturnal, with the prize of a gift certificate!
Pin for later!